COUNT has a learner support wing where we work directly with learners to help them unlock their math blockages. This is mainly offered at FET phase in a form of after school and/or Saturday extra lessons/tutoring. Learner support is often a short-term project depending on duration of funding and target group of learners are also funding-driven.
Several COUNT staff and consultants have been involved in a number of important curriculum development initiatives for more than 10 years. The involvement has included the secondment of staff to curriculum and material development programmes spearheaded by the National Department of Basic Education. These interventions and developments have included the following:
- Teacher Development and Support Programme to Improve Learning Outcomes (PILO)
- NECT School intervention in KZN and the Northern Cape where COUNT developed intermediate phase mathematics material (Curriculum Trackers) for Jik’imfundo and John Taole Gaetsewe schools respectively. COUNT also work-shopped subject advisors on how to use the curriculum trackers developed.
- Guidelines for Foundation Phase educators when C2005 was introduced (Gauteng Institute for Curriculum Development)
- Illustrative Learning Programmes for Grades 4-5 (NCS)
- Scripts for the launch of the primary school channel in 2005 and for education programmes for Kenya (MINDSET)
- Foundation Phase and Intermediate Phase test items (GDE and Joint Education Trust)
- Foundation Phase Guidelines document to support the implementation of the NCS
- Reviewed the NCS numeracy curriculum. (Ministerial Project Committee, 2010)
- Workbooks for Grade 3 Learners (DBE 2010-2011)
- Grade 1 Vula Bula Maths materials in isiXhosa (Molteno Institute)
- Writing and reviewing of materials for the Foundation for Learning Campaign
- Development of Grade 3 and 6 test items for national systemic tests and Gauteng and Western Cape Provincial tests
- A Training programme for ECD practitioners on how to use Sesame Street as an instructional programme (in collaboration with SAIDE
- The Little Library Story books suitable for learners aged 3-6
COUNT has developed its own FMP material plus Teacher Development Training material which are both SACE endorsed and continues to develop mathematics teaching and learning support material on commission.